For easier spring cleaning, I like to be in the habit of decluttering and purging on a regular basis. I would rather spend a little extra time daily, weekly, and/or monthly doing these things than to let everything build up and then do a huge one-time spring cleaning.
These simple tips will cut down on clutter and make deep cleaning easier in the long-run. These are things I try to do because they make sense for us.
They are meant to be ideas to inspire you to find what works for you, your family, and how your home functions. The point is to find those areas that make sense to you to work on regularly in order to stay on top of the clutter.
My Top 5 Decluttering & Purging Tips
- Make a habit of putting everything back where it belongs, every time. Train your children to do the same! This applies to the items from the kitchen cupboards, counters, fridge, the garage, bedrooms, bathrooms, bookshelves, etc.
- Always put socks and clothes directly into the dirty clothes hamper as soon as they are taken off of the body. This is especially important for socks since they are small and can easily be lost if left on the floor.
- Purge weekly, or at the very least monthly. Just grab a garbage bag and tackle one area: toy box, kids’ clothes, your own clothes, husband’s clothes, kitchen cabinet or drawer, bathroom cabinet or drawer, etc. It is less overwhelming and easier to do it one small section at a time every week. It takes less than 15 minutes to do in most cases!
- When folding laundry, throw away items with holes in them or put items the kids have outgrown into a designated bag or basket right at that moment, so that they are not stuffed back into the dressers and closets to make purging them later more work.
- And finally, a trick I learned from my mom, scrub out the fridge when you are down to bare minimums in groceries and planning a big grocery shopping trip. It will take a lot less time to go through the fridge and wash it all down when there is not much in there and it will keep you from buying items you don’t need since you can easily take inventory while cleaning. And, this works great for your pantry or kitchen cupboards, too!
Big Metal Shelf Convinient Work Surface Organizing Stuff GarageStorage Workshop Heavy-Duty Module Ergonomic Space Saver 22 Bin Rack Rolling Storage Commercial Wire Shelves & eBook by BADA shopBadger Basket Shelf Storage Cubby with Three Baskets, EspressomDesign Wall Mount/Over the Door Fabric Office Supplies Storage Organizer for Notebooks, Planners, File Folders – 4 Pockets, Gray/CreamLiquid Chalk Markers by VersaChalk – Non Toxic Wet Erase Chalkboard Window Glass Pens (Fine Neon Colors Set)Wall Calendar, Dry Erase Calendar, 18×24 Customized Dry Erase Wall Calendar, Chalkboard Calendar, Family Framed Calendar, 2018 calendar organizer, Command Center, Dry Erase BoardRustic Dark Brown Wood Wall Mounted Mail Sorter Key Hook Organizer Rack w/ Memo Bulletin Chalkboard Sign