If you want to have an Old Fashioned Christmas, consider doing some of these things with the kids and making them a family tradition! Keeping it simple is often the best way to do holidays, so just choose the easiest items from the list for your circumstances. In other words, do not feel like you have to do it all!
How To Have Yourself an Old Fashioned Christmas
- Get a real tree. Nothing like picking out your own, unique Christmas tree with all of its imperfections to bring the warm feelings of times gone by to your Christmas celebrations. If you can hike out on your own land and cut it down to drag home, even better!
- Homemade Decorations. Pop some popcorn to string with a needle & thread, along with cranberries. Make some colorful paper chains. Cut out your own homemade star tree-topper. Make some ornaments.
- Christmas Candy. You can buy the little round containers of old-fashioned hard candies, or make your own! There are a variety of recipes to choose from, just search for a recipe you like on Pinterest.
- Candlelight. Spend Christmas Eve using only candlelight or lanterns. The warmness & coziness will make it easy to imagine you are transported back to a simpler time. Be sure to choose 100% natural candles like these bee’s wax kind.
- Board/Dice Games. Turn off the T.V. and put away the devices. Pull out an old board game and enjoy some real family time around the kitchen table in the soft glow of candlelight! The Farming Game and Yahtzee were always family favorites when I was growing up!
- Christmas Carols. Music is beautiful and adds so much to a celebration. Having some music softly playing in the background can help set a joyful mood. Old Fashioned Christmas Carols are a great way to keep everyone focused on the true reason for the Christmas Celebration, which is to remember the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Instrumental guitar or piano music is also relaxing!
- Bake/Cook. The memory of my mom working in the kitchen to bake dinner rolls, pies, cookies, and the Christmas dinner will always be an important part of my childhood Christmas. The delicious scents and the warmth of the kitchen in use can be stimulated by something as simple as heating the ham or baking canned crescent rolls … but if you can swing it, there is nothing more “old-fashioned” than preparing the entire meal from scratch!
- Classic Food. Speaking of baking and cooking, choosing the classics like spiced cookies or bread, homemade bread or dinner rolls, etc. will fill your home with the scents of the season! And don’t forget the hot chocolate. 😉
- Read the Bible. The book of Luke is the perfect place to read the true story of Christ’s birth. Whether you start on Dec. 1st and read one of the 24 chapters per day til Christmas Day (an idea I recently heard about) or read the specific account of Christ’s birth on Christmas from chapter two, you will be blessed and your children will hear the Truth. (grab A Simple Advent Journey (back) to Jesus guide for Advent HERE)
Christmas Cash Giveaway!
I have teamed up with some pretty generous bloggers for the 6th annual Christmas Blessings Giveaway with the hopes of making this a Christmas to remember for TWO families as we close out this decade.
While we wish we could bless many more families, we were able to come up with a big prize for TWO families – $500 each (delivered via Paypal) – that we pray will make a big difference in their lives this Christmas season – whether it’s to fulfill their kids’ Christmas wishes, pay off some bills, or to help build some savings, our prayer is that it helps to lessen any financial burden and/or fills a specific need.
There are lots of entry options in the Rafflecopter form below – the more you enter, the better your chance of winning! I know it can seem tedious and time-consuming to go through all the entries, but isn’t a chance at $500 worth it? I think it is! Plus, all of these amazing bloggers donated their own money toward the cash prizes, so this giveaway wouldn’t be possible without them. I hope you’ll take the time to check out each one. Who knows, maybe you will find some new blogs to follow.
The giveaway will run from Monday, November 18th through Wednesday, November 27th (ends at 11:59pm EST). Winner will be notified by email shortly after the giveaway ends and will have 48 hours to respond to claim the prize or another winner will be drawn. You must have a Paypal account to win. By entering this giveaway, you agree to be added to the email lists of the participating bloggers. Please be sure to read the Rafflecopter terms and conditions upon entering.