Blogging Basics For Beginners
First, let us look at some of the very first steps you should take before launching your new blog career!
- Educate yourself. You can do so by researching and reading all you can about blogging online, but you are better off investing in a great little eBook that will walk you through the setup process! This was the first money I spent to put my blogging business on the right track and it was the best $10 I could have spent! See the full list of resources below.
- Treat it like a business. Seriously, start it with a business plan and goal in mind and on paper. Think about where you want your blog career to be in 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 5 years from now. Set up a business bank account as soon as you start earning an income. Get a cheap Post Office Box for your business address (this is needed for your email service provider).
- Choose your topic/niche. Even if you are going to be a lifestyle blogger (like me), you need to settle on a handful of main topics/categories that your blog content will fall under. Choose something you are truly passionate about and can write about in some form or another for an indefinite amount of time!
- Plan 3-6 months worth of content before launching your blog to the public. If you can, write and schedule ahead that far, too! As a general rule, more content equals more readers and traffic.
- Invest in your business. One way you can do this is to pay for a blogging course.
- Start your email lists ASAP. Start growing your list and communicate with your readers on a more personal level via email and offer them FREE stuff as an incentive for signing up (and staying on your list).
Resources For Bloggers
ConvertKit – An amazing easy-to-use email service provider that I use and LOVE!
MeetEdgar – The BEST social media scheduler — yup, for real. It is the only one I pay for. I LOVE it and it has made sharing my content 100% easier! Get $10 credit when you sign up!
Micro Business – Great resources from a CPA about small home businesses!
SiteGround Website/Blog Hosting – This is who I use & love! Low prices and great customer service!
How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul – A very affordable book that walks you through the essentials of pro blogging! One of the first investments I made into my at-home business.
Shotbox – Get your own mini photo shooting studio! Perfect for getting high-quality photos for reviews and products to share on your blog and social media platforms! This just makes life as a blogger easier.
PicMonkey – The program I use for editing and creating images!
Now, let us talk about the heart of the blog.
- Blogging is all about connecting with your readers and offering them something. My blog is (hopefully) offering you all some encouragement to embrace your role/calling as a godly wife and mother, manage your homes as homemakers, homeschool your children. On a lesser scale, I also desire to encourage you to thrive in a medical/special needs life and offer hope to those living with grief!
- You must blog/write about things relevant to the heart of your blog. In my case: marriage, parenting, homemaking, & homeschooling. In other words, stick to your niche! (except when you decide to share about the business side of blogging, like I am here *wink wink*)
- You must be consistent. Your readers expect content from you, at least weekly… otherwise, why bother subscribing, right? My busy home life means that I rarely publish more than 1 new article per week, so I do my best to be sure it is of high value to my readers!
So, there you have the bare bones and blogging basics for beginners. Feel free to contact me if you have questions. I love chatting about blogging!